The Mountain Lake Methodist Circuit was formed in 1881. For several years Cottage Prayer Meetings were held in the homes in Mountain Lake Park and the surrounding communities.

Sometime later, the “Hall of Philosophy” was built and services were held there until the present church was built in 1900.

In 1900, a Building Committee was formed to evaluate the need and to construct a church on the lots given. The Committee agreed that $1,800 would be the budget for the new church. Most of the work on the new church was donated but there was a need for some day laborers who earned wages from 15 cents to 25 cents per hour.

Work started on January 24, 1900 at 8 am. The church was dedicated in August of 1900 without debt and 31 members.

The first major improvement was the basement. It was finished in 1929, and sponsored by the Ladies Aid Society, now the United Methodist Women. They borrowed $700 from the bank with the remainder of the needed funds being raised by work-suppers, making quilts and other projects. The basement was completed at a final cost of approximately $1,500.

Later, Sunday School rooms were added and the kitchen and dining room were enlarged.